Canton Personal Injury Lawyer Representing Accident Victims
Accident victims who have been seriously injured face a number of significant challenges. In addition to exorbitant medical bills, you may be unable to work or take care of your family. At Gilormo Injury Law, our Canton personal injury attorneys believe that when an accident is due to someone else’s negligence, the people responsible should be held accountable. We fight for our clients’ rights to be fairly compensated for their injuries when someone else is at fault.
Common Types of Injuries After an Accident
With years of experience, we’ve helped injured people get the compensation they need to make a full recovery. We’ve helped people who have suffered the following types of injuries as a result of almost any type of accident, including car accidents, slip and fall accidents, and medical malpractice:
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Torn ligaments and tendons
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (including concussions)
- Whiplash and other neck injuries
- Deep lacerations
- Eye injuries
A Canton personal injury attorney can also help people who have experienced psychological and emotional trauma as a result of their injuries such as severe depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
What Are Your Damages?
“Damages” is the legal term for the losses you have suffered as a result of your accident. Generally speaking, you may be entitled to compensation for three types of damages:
- Compensatory damages: these are your economic damages and include things such as your medical bills, your lost wages, and any other expenses incurred as a result of your accident.
- Non-economic damages: this includes your pain and suffering. Under the law, you are entitled to be made whole. As a result, you may be entitled to compensation for mental and physical anguish that you have experienced, as you are unable to enjoy life as you did before your accident.
- Punitive damages: these are damages awarded by the court in order to punish the at-fault party. Their purpose is to dissuade other people from engaging in the same behavior. However, punitive damages are rarely awarded except in truly egregious cases and must meet a higher evidentiary standard.
An experienced Canton personal injury lawyer can provide a firm estimate of what your case may be worth. If the insurance company has already offered to settle your claim, you should speak with an attorney before accepting the offer to make sure you are being fairly compensated.
Settling Your Claim with a Canton Personal Injury Law Firm
Understandably, many accident victims do not want to go to court. The idea of suing someone or having to testify in court can be intimidating for most non-lawyers. Fortunately, most personal injury claims are settled before they go to trial, and many are settled even before a lawsuit is filed. Settlement is an attractive option for many people because it means your claim will be resolved sooner rather than later.
Insurance companies will demand that you prove your claim before they pay your claim, which means you will have to carefully document your claim and submit the proper evidence. In addition, insurance companies routinely make lowball settlement offers based on spurious reasons why you shouldn’t receive full value for your claim. A knowledgeable Canton personal injury lawyer can hold the insurance company responsible and ensure that you get the compensation you deserve.
Call a Canton Personal Injury Attorney Today for A Free Consultation
If you’ve been injured and don’t know where to turn, Canton personal injury lawyer Amber Gilormo understands the challenges you face. With compassion and dedication, she helps victims and their families get the compensation they need to rebuild their lives. To schedule a free consultation, contact Gilormo Injury Law at 770-343-7101 to discuss your case and how we can help.